FREE (Families for Racial Equity Education) is an advocacy group in northern Vermont, working to educate our families about systemic racism while questioning white dominant culture and dismantling white supremacy. We are social justice activists, seeking to raise our children to think critically and stand up for racial equity and justice. We work to bring inequities to the forefront of community conversations and advocate for widespread systemic changes.
Sundays at 10am (August 16, 23, 30)
Wild Branch Field, 1 Fort Hill Rd, Wolcott VT
Free, and pre-registration required:
Using books and activities, this three week program will help support parents and guide children ages 3-7 through the first steps of talking about race and anti-racist learning. Studies show that avoiding the topic of race actually increases the likelihood that children will adopt racist beliefs. But where do you start? Using our small private lending library you will be able to take home books that have individualized information and questions for parents that will help guide you through these ongoing conversations.
The first week we will open up by answering the question, “what is race?” The second and third weeks will delve more deeply into how racism functions in our society and how we can be social justice leaders and good friends. These storytimes are geared towards kids ages 3-7, but older siblings are welcome to participate!
All sessions will be held outdoors, under a tent, rain or shine. Masks are required for adults. Please sign up and bring a friend! Snacks will be provided, and after storytime, families are welcome to stay and swim in the nearby river. Registration will be capped at 25 participants, and more times will be offered if there’s enough interest.
If you would like to donate to our cause and to help us obtain more books for our library, you can do so in the following ways:
Cash/check at the events
Please email FREECollectiveVermont@gmail.com with any questions. We look forward to seeing you and your families!
- Talking to White Kids About Race & Racism
- Raising Race Conscious Children | Resource for Talking About Race & Diversity
- the conscious kid
- Here Wee Read | Contemporary Living for Book Loving Families
- CNN: Sesame Street Coming Together Town Hall: Watch the entire CNN/Sesame Street racism town hall
- Selma, Lord, Selma (PG 13)- watch before showing children
- Hair Love (animated short film): https://youtu.be/kNw8V_Fkw28
- Storyline Online (Celebrate Black Stories and Black Voices section): Storyline Online
- How To Raise Anti-Racist Kids, with Dr. Nzinga Harrison
- How to Talk to White Kids about Race & Racism with Dr. Margaret Hagerman
- Teaching 6-Year-Olds About Privilege and Power
- Session 148: Talking to Kids About Race — Therapy For Black Girls
- MAMP Podcast Ep#18: Talking to Our Kids About Race
- Talking Race With Young Children : Life Kit: Parenting
- But Why?: A discussion about a Race and Racism: https://www.vpr.org/post/why-live-discussion-about-race-and-racism#stream/0
- Raising White Kids, Jennifer Harvey
- Teaching to Transgress, bell hooks
- What If All the Kids are White? Multicultural/Anti-Bias Education with White Children, Louise Derman-Sparks & Patricia G. Ramsey